The Second Revolution by Gary Hansen

The Second Revolution - Gary   Hansen

Synopsis: (Amazon)

What if a Rogue President took Control of America? Jake McKinley moved to Pittsburgh after his divorce. After being attacked in his home, he buys a handgun for protection. Meanwhile, things are going crazy in Washington DC. The president dies and is replaced by his vice president. Opponents of the new president are assassinated. Liberty is threatened. The situation escalates until Americans must decide whether to fight for freedom, or forfeit it. Jake decides to fight, along with millions of others, in The Second Revolution.

Author's Site: Gary Hansen

Publisher: Hole Shot Press

Purchase: The Second Revolution

Reviewed For: NetGalley- a copy of this book was provided for an honest review.

Misanthrope's Assessment:

I wish that people writing in this genre, and the people who actually buy into the politics this genre sometimes expresses would stop taking the words of our Founding Fathers out of context.  That is the major problem I have with this book.  I wish they would read the letter from which that often misused quote about 'the blood of tyrants refreshing the tree of liberty' was taken from.  If they did, if they sat down and studied the history and read that letter, they would realize that Jefferson was MOCKING the likes of them.  It is rather amusing, but incredibly aggravating.

That aside... I enjoyed the book.  The characters were developed and although I hated the misuse of Jefferson's words, it set the stage for the protagonist and those around him.  I did not like how women were handled in this book, but here again, it does paint a vividly correct picture about how folks who espouse the beliefs of Jake, Clive, and even Monica, are.

I mean, come on, Jake hadn't held a gun since he was a kid at the start of the novel, compared to Monica who was raised around guns and was proficient at firing and the care of a various number of weapons, but he gets to go into the fray while little ole female Monica stays home?  Stays out of the action while the man gets to be the hero?  Again... it was irritating to me, but was true to form for people of that political and religious persuasion.

I thought the action was kind of dry too.  In the heat of battle, as a reader, I was bored.  I wasn't concerned or worried about the protagonist, or any of his friends.  I should have been.