The Wasteland Chronicles: Apocalypse by Kyle West

Apocalypse - Kyle West

Synopsis (Amazon):

Alex Keener has lived all of his sixteen years underground in U.S. Bunker 108. When he goes on his first recon into the Wasteland, he will find out exactly why.
  Outside, Alex discovers a harsh landscape twisted by the impact of the meteor Ragnarok in 2030. Besides Raiders, dust storms, and cold, a new threat is evolving -- the xenovirus, which twists men and animals into deadly monsters.
  When the xenovirus invades Bunker 108, Alex must fight for survival. Joined by a beautiful ex-Raider and an idealistic scientist, Alex discovers that he and his friends might be the only ones standing between the world and a second apocalypse.

Published by: self-published by author and ADS, Inc.

Author's Website:  Kyle West

Devourer's Assessment:

This was a freebie on Amazon (here).  It didn't take long to read.  It wasn't a book, it was a short novella.  I do wish that author's were more honest when describing their product.  Novella is generous too... this is a serial that was interesting, but to be honest, only at the 'free' price.  I see potential here, but I am not going to pay $2.99 for the second installment, $2.99 for the third, and $2.99 for the fourth and by the reviews, it isn't finished, so if you let yourself get hooked, you will be throwing more money away.

Yes.  I said throwing your money away.  Look... I like series, and I even like serials, but I am sick of entitled authors thinking we are going to keep handing over cash when all we get is, at best, a partial conclusion to the book's plot line, and cliffhangers that hook you into buying the next.  Sorry.  A good author can give you a conclusion and a hook to keep reading, not pull crap like what happened here.

I might be hooked, if there was a little more conclusion and the first three of these 'books' put together and issued as one volume... I might even be willing to pay $5 for the first three, but I will not be purchasing anymore of this series as is, and I would warn you against getting hooked.  There are other novels of this type out there that will give you more bang for your buck... and a conclusion.

I give this a two star rating.  If you have money to waste, go for it, you might not be disappointed if you get all the books (if the author finishes the story, but that is a rant for another post and time).