Dust of Eden by Mariko Nagai

Dust of Eden - Mariko Nagai

Received this from NetGalley for review.

Synopsis:  (from Amazon)

"We lived under a sky so blue in Idaho right near the towns of Hunt and Eden but we were not welcomed there." In early 1942, thirteen-year-old Mina Masako Tagawa and her Japanese-American family are sent from their home in Seattle to an internment camp in Idaho. What do you do when your home country treats you like an enemy? This memorable and powerful novel in verse, written by award-winning author Mariko Nagai, explores the nature of fear, the value of acceptance, and the beauty of life. As thought-provoking as it is uplifting, Dust of Eden is told with an honesty that is both heart-wrenching and inspirational.

I enjoyed this book for young readers.  There was formatting issues, made worse by the fact I think that some of this book was intended to be formatted as poetry, but I kept with it and it was a very good read, especially for young children and not-so-young children.  This episode of history isn't something that was mentioned much for a very long time for those who were not directly affected by it.  I remember being horrified to learn what happened to the American Japanese during WWII in my AP history class in high school.

I would recommend this book.