Updated Review of The Heaven's Rise by Christopher Rice

The Heavens Rise - Christopher Rice

While the copy I received after the initial complaint about it being unreadable was still rife with formatting issues, I was able to read it with only a level of mild annoyance.

The blurb on Amazon:

New York Times bestselling author Christopher Rice brilliantly conjures the shadowed terrors of the Louisiana bayou—where three friends confront a deadly, ancient evil rising to the surface—in this intense and atmospheric new supernatural thriller.

It’s been a decade since the Delongpre family vanished near Bayou Rabineaux, and still no one can explain the events of that dark and sweltering night. No one except Niquette Delongpre, the survivor who ran away from the mangled stretch of guardrail on Highway 22 where the impossible occurred…and kept on running. Who left behind her best friends, Ben and Anthem, to save them from her newfound capacity for destruction…and who alone knows the source of her very bizarre—and very deadly—abilities: an isolated strip of swampland called Elysium.

The story hooked me immediately, and it was a fast paced yet well written journey through the lives of Ben, Anthem, Marshall, and Nikki and the horror Marshall became and Ben, Anthem, and Nikki's stand against him.  But the climactic scene and finish felt rushed and lacking.  That being said, it was an enjoyable, if not a terrifying, ride and I would recommend.

While it isn't exactly fair to compare him to his mother (Anne Rice) and her talent- he lacks the age and experience she has under her belt, I don't see him writing his way to her level of fame- at least not in the horror or thriller genre.