Currently reading update, NetGalley, and other random bits

Blood of Tyrants - Naomi Novik Joyland - Stephen King Insurgent  - Veronica Roth

Re-Shelving

I'll start off by stating that I removed three books from my 'currently reading' shelf and moved them over to the 'setting aside- various reasons' shelf.  They are books I have connected with this post.  Since I said that I would always state my reasons when assigning books to the shelf-

1.  Blood of Tyrants by Naomi Novik -  I love the Temeraire series, and I had been eagerly awaiting this novel, but I cannot seem to get into it.  Not sure if it is just me or not, but the vibe from the writing feels different, like it isn't Novik, again, that is only my personal opinion and feeling.  I keep anywhere from five to ten books going at once, different to suit the variety of genres I enjoy and what kind of a read I am looking for when I read, but I've had this book ever since it was released and I am only fifty-one pages in, so I am assigning to the 'setting aside' shelf for a bit.

2.  Joyland by Stephen King -  I have to be honest, King has never been one of my favorite writers.  I have enjoyed a few of his novels, and one or two would find themselves on my list of best reads, but I've never been a total fan.  To be honest, I am not sure how much of my not being a fan is associated with the fact that he nearly killed me and a friend one evening in the driveway of Wendy's on Union Street in Bangor, whipping through like he owned the place, going way over an acceptable speed limit... don't stand between this man and his fast food, but it is what it is (this was several years before his own incident with nearly getting killed by a car so maybe he has changed).  I also purchased this book when released as it was held back for a bit from digital release, and bought it at a local BAM.  A couple days later I went into Sam's Club and found it for about five dollars cheaper... was not a happy camper, but I had already begun to read it so I didn't feel like I had the right to return it to BAM.  Anyway, I am not even sure I was past the first chapter- I've since tossed the book in the charity bin at the local grocery store and snagged a 'free' e-book version, but not in a hurry to finish.

3. Insurgent by Veronica Roth - I enjoyed the first book.  It wasn't astounding literature, but it was a quick and simple read and I am a sucker for dystopian fiction (sadly there is a slew of it in YA, but not nearly enough in more well written and plotted adult fiction).  I picked up the second in the series, but every time I pick it up to read, I find myself wishing that Four and Beatrice would get mangled and cut to bits as they jump off a train because they were sucked under the wheels.  I am on page 454 out of 525 with a purchased Kindle book.

NetGalley

If you aren't a member, I highly suggest joining.  You can request free copies of books (tons to choose from), some even can be sent directly to your Kindle.  I have fourteen books that are awaiting reviews!

I am giving these three priority- The Reichsbank Robbery by Colin Roderick Fulton, The Heavens Rise by Christopher Rice, and Target Churchill by Warren Adler and James C. Humes.

I had been reading The Reichsbank Robbery while waiting for my mother to finish with her doctor the other day and while it was a bit of a slow start, it picked up speed rather quickly and it takes effort to set it down.

Other News

In my spare time I love taking offerings from Coursera (if you love learning, check out them out) and one of the classes I registered for this fall started- The Fall and Rise of Jerusalem.  It just started this week, so you could still register and begin the videos if you are fascinated in the Middle East- not only with what is currently going on, but fascinated by the history that has led up to current day.

Another 'class' that I signed up for starts towards the end of the month, but it is taught by Larry Sabato and is entitled The Kennedy Half-Century.  Go check them out at http://www.coursera.org!

Had another doctor's visit with my mom today- spent nearly three hours there- nothing horribly serious, but she is having her MS re-evaluated and they have moved her from relapsing-remitting to progressive.  I forgot to bring my Kindle with me so while she was having some physical therapy and counseling, I thought I was going to have to make do with the office waiting room magazines but thankfully I had bought a copy of Catastrophe 1914: Europe Goes To War by Max Hasting (one of my favorite historical non-fiction authors) while at Sam's Club earlier and had left it in the car.

So, have a full plate of 'currently reading' and 'to reads' again- all is right in my world. That and my mom was actually reading a book on my Nook Tablet that I had given her (she likes the Angry Birds app and a couple of the others it now has thanks to GooglePlay and it helped me to justify my purchase of the Nook HD+)- my mom is not much of a reader which is a constant mystery to me because I honestly have trouble relating to most people who do not read like I do.